Wednesday 21 August 2013

Splitz Bar and Grill - Whistler, B.C, Canada (International edition!)

Splitz Custom Burger and Fries - $12



Rating
Burger Patty
: 6/10
Bap: 6/10 
Relish: 6/10
Sides (accoutrement's): 6/10
Ambience: 7/10 

Total Rating: 33/50

So I'm lucky enough to be on holiday in beautiful BC!

Obviously my first port of call was a renowned local burger restaurant. Splitz serves burgers, grilled meats and milkshakes to hungry bikers in summer and skiers/boarders in winter.

The burger I tried was their standard burger with bacon and cheese added at a dollar each. Included in this price is fries and two sauces which is great value for hungry bikers. 


After paying you head to a sort-of deli-counter... Now because of the low price I was not expecting much chane of customisation so this part of the experience was very impressive. You can pick sauces, salads to choice and extra toppings. I went for pickles (lots), red onion, Splitz burger sauce and barbeque sauce. I was restrained for the sake of purity of flavour but it would be fully possible to go mad here and create a huge custom mountain of a burger!

So we headed for the table and tucked in:


The patty was good; well seasoned, nice and chunky cuts of meat and cooked to a genuine "medium". 6/10

I went for a wholegrain bun which was pleasingly grainy with oats and a lovely brown texture. However this lost marks because it could have been fresher and did fall apart a little, 6/10.

 The Splitz sauce was really good, a creamy garlic and chive (?) concoction which made a nice base for the burger. The BBQ sauce was average. A solid 6/10

The chips were well seasoned with salt and pepper and portion size was good. The back bacon was crispy and salty North American style and the Cheddar cheese was creamy but with a kick. The red onion was raw and sweet and there were three thick slices of pickles. Well done chaps!!! I liked these skin-on fries but these tasted a little old so i had to knock them down to a 6/10.

Ambience was fun with lots of extreme sports pics, very friendly staff and fast service. Although the range of choice was a little overwhelming the staff guided me through well. a solid 7/10.


I think it should be noted that my friend Greg who I ate with found my scoring system unnecessarily harsh, but I don't believe so. 5/10 indicates an average score - it indicates that there is nothing special going on but everything is adequate. 6/10 is above average - worth a special mention. 7/10 is very good, this really surprised me and is worth travelling for. 8/10 is excellent, this is much better than the norm and exceeded any expectation. 9/10 is pretty much perfect, this totally blew my mind and is an amazing experience in itself. 10/10 is perfect, this cannot be bettered and is the best thing you can have in the world with no equal. Hope this clears everything up for you Greg...


If you wanna go to Splitz, their website is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment